tlb flushing on Power

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jan 27 08:39:13 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 08:41 -0600, Brian King wrote:
> CC'ing linuxppc-dev...
>

> On 01/26/2012 08:18 AM, Seth Jennings wrote:
> > Hey Dave,
> >
> > So I submitted the zsmalloc patches to lkml at the beginning
> > of the year
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/9/389
> >
> > I found there are two functions Nitin used in the mapping
> > functions that are not supported in the powerpc arch:
> > set_pte() and __flush_tlb_one().

 .../...

The arch management of page tables can be tricky indeed :-) I need to
have a better understanding of what you are doing to see how I can try
to adapt it to power.

set_pte() is long gone on all archs really (or if it's still there it's
not meant to be used as is), use set_pte_at().

__flush_tlb_one() doesn't mean anything as an arch independent
functionality. We have a local_flush_tlb_page() that -might- do what you
want but why in hell is that patch not using proper existing
interfaces ?

Can you explain to me a bit more the whole business in this patch set
about doing kmap_atomic() vs. manually trying to populate the PTEs ? Why
not just use two kmap atomic entries ? If interrupts are disabled
kmap_atomic() should give you contiguous ones I suppose (unless NMIs are
allowed to use kmap_atomic, are they ?)

Cheers,
Ben.