Cannot wake-up from standby with MPC8313

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Sat Jan 7 00:53:00 EST 2012

On 01/05/12 19:22, Scott Wood wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 09:58 AM, Norbert van Bolhuis wrote:
>> thanks for your response.
>>
>> not setting MSR_POW gives same result.
>
> OK, so you're not getting an interrupt regardless of low-power state.
>
> Check whether the interrupt is getting masked during standby preparation.
>
> Does the interrupt handler run when you're not trying to enter standby?

The GPIO/UART interrupt nor the PMC interrupt are being masked during standby
preperation.
The GPIO/UART interrupt works fine in "operational" mode.
The PMC interrupt I do not know, is it possible to to get PMC interrupt
without going to standby or deep-sleep ?
In anyway there is no PMC interrupt for NAP mode (if kernel.powersave-nap=1).

>> if I set kernel.powersave-nap=1 it works fine,
>
> What is "it"?  Do you mean that powersave-nap doesn't break things, or
> that standby works when you specify that?

I mean powersave-nap itself seems to work and does not break things.

>> so apparently NAP/DOZE mode does work (if CPU is idle). This saves almost no
>> power though. Standby mode saves about 300-500 mW.
>>
>> The problem could well be our board though, today I learned it does
>> work by connecting an (inactive) JTAG debugger.
>> Also, on another board it always works.
>
> You mean connecting a JTAG but not doing anything with it made
> wake-from-standby work?
>
> There was a bug like that on early revisions of the mpc8313erdb board --
> though in that case if you had a bad board the system would hang
> whenever you access any PMC register.  I'm not sure what the mechanism
> of failure was; IIRC the fix was adding a resistor.

yes, connecting a JTAG but not doing anything with it makes
wake-from-standby work.

I don't know what's wrong with (some of) our boards... it looks
like external interrupts are blocked and/or core stays in reset..

I doubt there's a SW PMC race/deadlock that causes this.

---
NvBolhuis