Mac address in the DTS file

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Jan 3 04:53:02 EST 2012

On 12/30/2011 06:51 AM, smitha.vanga at wipro.com wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> In my DTS file for mpc8247 I have defined the ether MAC in the node as below.
>
> ethernet at 24000 {
>                        #address-cells = <1>;
>                        #size-cells = <0>;
>                        device_type = "network";
>                        device-id = <1>;
>                        compatible = "fs_enet";
>                        model = "FCC";
>                        reg = <11300 20 8400 100 11380 30>;
>                        mac-address = [ 00 e0 ee 00 05 2e ];
>                        interrupts = <20 2>;
>                        interrupt-parent = <10c00>;
>                        phy-handle = <2452000>;
>                        rx-clock = <13>;
>                        tx-clock = <12>;
>                };

Others have answered your question (the mac address should not be in the
.dts file -- it should be patched in by boot software), but I'd like to
point out that this is a deprecated device tree binding that was very
short-lived in a very old kernel, from an early attempt at 82xx support
in arch/powerpc.  Why are you still using it?  It will not work with
current kernels (which suggests you're also using a very old kernel).

-Scott