[RFC] Multi queue support in ethernet/freescale/ucc_geth.c

Paul Gortmaker paul.gortmaker at windriver.com
Fri Feb 3 09:42:00 EST 2012

Hi Li,

A while back DaveM mentioned that it would be good to
break out the ring allocations[1] in this driver.

I was looking at it, and in the process noticed this:

$ grep 'numQueues.*=' drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/ucc_geth.c
        .numQueuesTx = 1,
        .numQueuesRx = 1,
$

My interpretation of the above is that there is no way
(aside from a code edit) to enable multi queue support.
They are only ever assigned one time, to a value of one.

Assuming I'm not missing something obvious, is the multi
queue support functional and tested, or just old code
that never got tested and subsequently enabled?

The reason I ask, is that the ring allocation code gets rid
of the loop wrapping it, if the driver is really only meant
to ever have just single queues for Rx/Tx. And other areas
of the driver can also be simplified accordingly as well.

Thanks,
Paul.

[1] http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2010/09/06/45