pci and pcie device-tree binding - range No cells

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Dec 13 00:34:24 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:19:12PM +0000, Andrew Murray wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Grant Likely wrote:
> > >
> > > Ben: Are you willing to move that ppc code to this location?
> > > It is probably not good idea that I should do it when I even don't have
> > > hardware available for testing (Asking someone else).
> >
> > You're a clever guy, you are more than capable of crafting the patch,
> > even if you can't test on hardware. :-)
> >
> > I refactored most of the OF support code without having access to most
> > of the affected hardware. Once I got the changes out there for review
> > I also asked for spot testing before getting it into linux-next for
> > even more testing.
>
> I've been working on a relatively architecture agnostic PCI host bridge driver
> and also wanted to avoid duplicating more generic DT parsing code for PCI
> bindings.
>
> I've ended up with a patch which provides an iterator for returning resources
> based on the the typical 'ranges' binding. This has ended up living in
> drivers/of/address.c. I originally started out in drivers/of/pci.c and
> drivers/pci/pci-of.c but found there were good (and static) implementations in
> drivers/of/address.c which can be reused (e.g. of_bus_pci_get_flags,
> bus->count_cells).
>
> I'm not just ready to post it - but can do before early next week if you can
> wait.

I already posted a similar patch[0] as part of a larger series to bring
DT support to Tegra PCIe back in July. I suppose what you have must be
something pretty close to that. Most of the stuff that had me occupied
since then should be done soon and I was planning on resurrecting the
series one of these days.

Thierry

[0]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1244451/