Understanding how kernel updates MMU hash table

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Dec 6 22:56:07 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 23:57 -0800, Pegasus11 wrote:
> Hi Ben.
>
> Got it..no more quoting replies...

Quoting is fine ... as long as you quote the bits your reply to, not
your actual reply part :)

> You mentioned the MMU looking into a hash table if it misses a translation
> entry in the TLB. This means that there is a hardware TLB for sure.

Sure, nobody sane would design a CPU without one nowadays :-)

> By your words, I understand that the hash table is an in-memory cache of
> translations meaning it is implemented in software.

Well, it's populated by software and read by HW. IE. On x86, the MMU
will walk a radix tree of page tables, on powerpc it will walk an in
memory hash table. The main difference is that on x86, there is usually
a tree per process while the powerpc hash table tends to be global.

> So whenever the MMU wishes to translate a virtual address, it first checks the TLB and if it
> isn't found there, it looks for it in the hash table. Now this seems fine to
> me when looked at from the perspective of the MMU. Now when I look at it
> from the kernel's perspective, I am a bit confused.
>
> So when we (the kernel) encounter a virtual address, we walk the page tables
> and if we find that there is no valid entry for this address, we page fault
> which causes an exception right?

Hrm ... not sure what we mean by "the kernel". There are two different
path here, but let's focus on the usual case... the processor encounters
an address, whether it's trying to fetch an instruction, or having done
that, is performing a load or a store. This will use what we call in
powerpc lingua an "effective" address. This gets in turn turned into a
"virtual address" after an SLB lookup.

I refer you to the architecture here, it's a bit tricky but basically
the principle is that the virtual address space is *somewhat* the
effective address space along with the process id. Except that on
powerpc, we do that per-segment (we divide the address space into
segments) so each segment has its top bits "transformed" into something
larger called the VSID.

In any case, this results in a virtual address which is then looked up
in the TLB (I'm ignoring the ERAT here which is the 1-st level TLB but
let's not complicate things even more). If that misses, the CPU looks up
in the hash table. If that misses, it causes an exception (0x300 for
data accesses, 0x400 for instruction accesses).

There, Linux will usually go into hash_page which looks for the Linux
PTE. If the PTE is absent (or has any other reason to be unusable such
as being read-only for a write access), we get to do_page_fault.

Else, we populate the hash table with a translation, set the HASHPTE bit
in the PTE, and retry the access.

>  And this exception then takes us to the
> exception handler which I guess is 'do_page_fault'. On checking this
> function I see that it gets the PGD, allocates a PMD, allocates a PTE and
> then it calls handle_pte_fault. The comment banner for handle_pte_fault
> reads:
>
> 1638 /* These routines also need to handle stuff like marking pages dirty
> 1639 * and/or accessed for architectures that don't do it in hardware (most
> 1640 * RISC architectures).  The early dirtying is also good on the i386.
> 1641 *
> 1642 * There is also a hook called "update_mmu_cache()" that architectures
> 1643 * with external mmu caches can use to update those (ie the Sparc or
> 1644 * PowerPC hashed page tables that act as extended TLBs)....
> */

Yes, when we go to do_page_fault() because the PTE wasn't populated in
the first place, we have a hook to pre-fill the hash table instead of
taking a fault again which will fill it the second time around. It's
just a shortcut.

> It is from such comments that I inferred that the hash tables were being
> used as "extended TLBs". However the above also infers (atleast to me) that
> these caches are in hardware as theyve used the word 'extended'. Pardon me
> if I am being nitpicky but these things are confusing me a bit. So to clear
> this confusion, there are three things I would like to know.
> 1. Is the MMU cache implemented in hardware or software? I trust you on it
> being software but it would be great if you could address my concern in the
> above paragraph.

The TLB is a piece of HW. (there's really three in fact, the I-ERAT, the
D-ERAT and the TLB ;-)

The Hash Table is a piece of RAM (pointed to by the SDR1 register) setup
by the OS and populated by the OS but read by the HW. Just like the page
tables on x86.

> 2. The kernel, it looks from the do_page_fault sequence, is updating its
> internal page table first and then it goes on to update the mmu cache. So
> this only means it is satisfying the requirement of someone else, perhaps
> the MMU here.

update_mmu_cache() is just a shortcut.

As I explained above, we populate the hash table lazily on fault.
However, when taking an actual high level page fault (do_page_fault), we
*know* the hash doesn't have an appropriate translation, so rather than
just filling up the linux PTE and then taking the fault again to fill
the hash from the linux PTE, we have a hook so we can pre-fill the hash.

> This should imply that this MMU cache does the kernel no good
> in fact it adds one more entry in its to-do list when it plays around with a
> process's page table.

This is a debatable topic ;-) Some of us do indeed thing that the hash
table isn't a very useful construct in the grand scheme of things and
ends up being fairly inefficient, for a variety of reasons including the
added overhead of maintaining it that you mention above, though that can
easily be dwarfed by the overhead caused by the fact that most hash
table loads tend to be cache misses (the hash is simply not very cache
friendly).

On the other hand, it means that unlike a page table tree, the hash tend
to resolve a translation in a single load, at least when well primed and
big enough. So for some types of workloads, it makes quite a bit of
sense, at least on paper.

> 3. If the above is true, where is the TLB for the kernel? I mean when I see
> head.S for the ppc64 architecture (all files are from 2.6.10 by the way), I
> do see an unconditional branch for do_hash_page wherein we "try to insert an
> HPTE". Within do_hash_page, after doing some sanity checking to make sure we
> don't have any weird conditions here, we jump to 'handle_page_fault' which
> is again encoded in assembly and in the same file viz. head.S. Following it
> I again arrive back to handle_mm_fault from within 'do_page_fault' and we
> are back to square one. I understand that stuff is happening transparently
> behind our backs, but what and where exactly? I mean if I could understand
> this sequence of what is in hardware, what is in software and the sequence,
> perhaps I could get my head around it a lot better...
>
> Again, I am keen to hear from you and I am sorry if I going round round and
> round..but I seriously am a bit confused with this..

The TLB is not directly populated by the kernel, the HW does it by
reading from the hash table, though we do invalidate it ourselves.

Cheers,
Ben.