FW: P4080 device tree problems with fsl dpaa ... RESOLVED.

Robert Sciuk robert.sciuk at exfo.com
Wed Oct 19 08:38:26 EST 2011

[snip]

> How and what type of packets are you sending? Raw MAC frames, IP? Are
> you using custom code, or can you try things like ping?
> If you are using IP, I trust you checked the Linux configuration (like
> assigning a valid IP address to the interface and making sure the
> routing table is correct).
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

Thomas,

I would like to thank you for your very kind assistance on the DPAA problem.  We traced the problem to the connection between MAC and PHY, and we have resolved it by instrumenting code and comparing the TBI and PHY initialization from u-boot to the Linux DPA code, and replacing some of the "magic numbers" we found in the driver with "magic numbers" we know to work.  OUCH!

We spent an inordinate amount of effort in trying to understand the undocumented code/tree, but I am convinced that the device-tree approach to embedded boards is a very valuable approach, and will ultimately solve many more problems than it creates short term.

Again, your information was of great assistance, and I look forward to being able to pay forward the same kind of assistance in the future.

Cheers,
Rob Sciuk.