Request_irq fails for IRQ2

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Oct 9 18:11:43 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 13:55 +0000, smitha.vanga at wipro.com wrote:

> Hi Scoot,
>
> When I try to use a atomic varaible in my ISR  I see a kernel crash .
> with mesage BUG: scheduling while atomic:
>

> Below is the code :
> My ISR
>
> irqreturn_t cpld_irq_handler(int irq, void * dev_id, struct pt_regs
> *regs)
>
> {
>
> wake_up(&cpld_intr_wait);
>
> atomic_inc(&cpld_intr_data); /* incrementing this will indicate the
> poll() that the interrupt is occured */
>
> return 0;
>
> }

This is of course completely racy, you should do the increment -before-
you wake up. I suppose you aren't SMP at the moment but even then, if
you ever switch for example to threaded interrupts or use RT it will
potentially break.

> DRIVER_INIT
> static int __init gpio_init(void)
> {
>         int ret = 0;
>         int virq;
>

>     atomic_set(&cpld_intr_data, 0);                     /* initialize
> the Interrupt indicator */
>     init_waitqueue_head(&cpld_intr_wait);               /* Initialize
> the wait queue */
>
>     virq = irq_create_mapping(NULL, CPLD1_INTERRUPT);

See comments earlier about using the device-tree here.

>    if ((ret = request_irq(virq,cpld_irq_handler, 0, GPIO_CHAR_PATH,
> NULL))!=0)
>    {
>       printk(KERN_ERR "gpio_init: Could not grab IRQ line for CPLD ret
> = %d\n",ret);
>           goto err1;
>    }
>

>         if((s_nGPIOMajor = register_chrdev(MPC8247_DEVICE_MAJOR_NUM,
> GPIO_CHAR_PATH, &gpio_fops))<0)
>         {
>                 GPIO_DBG2("GPIO_DRIVER  : unable to get major %d\n",
> s_nGPIOMajor);
>                 return s_nGPIOMajor;
>
>         }else{
>                 GPIO_DBG2("GPIO_DRIVER  : major = %x\n", s_nGPIOMajor
> );
>         }

coding style FAIL

>         return 0;
>
> }

I don't see anything that does your scheduling while atomic here,
probably a bug in your poll implementation but it's not here.

Oh and stop sending that crap:

> Regards,
> Smitha

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments.

> viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
> virus transmitted by this email.

It's a complete nonsense on a public mailing list

Ben.