oprofile callgraph support missing for common cpus

Juntang Fu(David) juntang.fu at windriver.com
Fri Nov 25 16:58:31 EST 2011

On 11/25/2011 01:24 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 09:22 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>
>> I forgot to ask, oprofile mentions setting -no-omit-framepointer to get
>> correct backtrace but I cannot turn on frame pointers for the ppc kernel.
>> Isn't frame pointers needed for pcc? what about user space?
> PowerPC always has frame pointers, ignore that :-)
Recently I have met a similar problem on frame pointer but at arm_v7
variant in back tracing
support for Oprofile, could you help me see it? thanks in advance:
in my case, I have enabled Oprofile support in my arm_v7 thumb2 target,
in the created binary image
including kernel image and rootfs, seems that frame pointer is not
enabled for arm thumb2, So I have met
the following problems in back trace:
I can get the right stack traces for kernel stack, but for user stack, the
stack length is always one depth, why?

Is this a known deficiency in supporting arm thumb2 for Oprofile stack
trace?

Thanks.

B.R.
--David