PCI DMA to user mem on mpc83xx

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Mon May 23 19:12:41 EST 2011

Ira,

we have a pretty old PCI device driver here that needs some basic rework
running on 2.6.27 on several MPC83xx.
It's a simple char-device with "give me some data" implemented using
read() resulting in zero-copy DMA to user mem.

There's get_user_pages() working under the hood along with
SetPageDirty() and page_cache_release().

Main goal is to prepare a sg-list that gets fed into a DMA controller.

I wonder if there's a more up-to-date/efficient and future proof scheme
of creating the mapping.

Could you provide some pointers or would you stick to the current scheme ?

Regards,
André

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner