Updating the define_machine() structure at runtime?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue May 17 02:21:41 EST 2011

I would like to get some opinions on the following.

I'm working on extending our existing board definition files to support our
ePAPR reference hypervisor.  Because our hypervisor provides a virtual PIC, we
need to have different functions for define_machine() structure that related to
the PIC, but most everything else can stay the same.

define_machine(p4080_hv) {
	.name			= "P4080DS HV",
	.probe			= p4080hv_probe,
	.setup_arch		= corenet_ds_setup_arch,
	.init_IRQ		= fsl_hv_pic_init,
#ifdef CONFIG_PCI
	.pcibios_fixup_bus	= fsl_pcibios_fixup_bus,
#endif
	.get_irq		= ehv_pic_get_irq,
	.restart		= fsl_hv_restart,
	.power_off		= fsl_hv_halt,
	.halt			= fsl_hv_halt,
	.calibrate_decr		= generic_calibrate_decr,
	.progress		= udbg_progress,
};

Rather than create two such structures for each board that can support the
hypervisor (one with HV support, one without), I would like to do the following
instead.  What do you all think?

define_machine(p4080_ds) {
	.name			= "P4080 DS",
	.probe			= p4080_ds_probe,
	.get_irq		= mpic_get_coreint_irq,
};

static int __init p4080_ds_probe(void)
{
#ifdef CONFIG_FSL_HYPERVISOR
	if (of_flat_dt_is_compatible(root, "fsl,P4080DS-hv")) {
		mach_p4080_ds.get_irq = ehv_pic_get_irq;
		return 1;
	} else
		return 0;
#endif