Mapping an executable page

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+linuxppc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:53:56 EST 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Tabi Timur-B04825 <B04825 at freescale.com> wrote:
> Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>> I think I can make it more reliable by dummy reading the pages*after*
>> I disabled interrupts on that processor, immediately before jumping to
>> the boot code. Is that correct?
>
> That sounds logical to me.
>
> BTW, since you're already doing something non-standard with your module, why
> don't you just make settlbcam exported?

It's not because I need to do something non-standard that I like to
disregard any rule, convention, or good practice :-)
I prefer to follow the kernel 'rules' and practices as closely as
possible, primarily by not messing with the kernel at all.
Unfortunately, in this case, there does not seem to be another way.

Exporting settlbcam causes me to make kernel changes (not module
changes). Then, if I want to update to a newer kernel version, I have
to re-apply the change.
By using a kernel module in a 'standard' way, I limit the number of
upgrade issues.

Best regards,
Thomas