[RFC,PATCH] Cleanup PC parallel port Kconfig

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jun 15 21:24:24 EST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:46, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> * In case of floppies, the "solution" was to write a driver for every platform that
>  doesn't have PIO, since they tend to have other differences. The amiflop and
>  ataflop drivers are not even use readb(), they just derefence volatile pointers
>  to do MMIO. I doubt we can find volunteers to clean that up.

Amiflop drives the Amiga floppy controller, which is completely
different from the
PC-style floppy controller.
Ataflop drives the Atari floppy controller, which seems to be a WD1772 and not
related to PC-style floppy controllers neither.

So none of them drive PC-style hardware, and both predate the generic readb()
infrastructure.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds