setbat() in udbg_init_cpm() required to avoid driver lockup

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jul 20 04:24:30 EST 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:39:01 -0700
Daniel Ng2 <daniel.ng1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our USB Device Controller (UDC) driver seems to get stuck in a loop waiting
> for the CPM Command Register to indicate that the CPM has finished executing
> a command. (It should do this by setting the cpmcr 'Command Done' bit).
>
> This only happens if I disable the 'Early Debug' Kernel Hacking .config
> parameter. If Early Debug is enabled, then the problem goes away.
>
> I've narrowed it down to this line in udbg_init_cpm(void):
>
> setbat(1, 0xf0000000, 0xf0000000, 0x40000, PAGE_KERNEL_NCG);
>
> -without this line, the driver gets stuck in the loop.
>
> Can anyone suggest why?

Is your USB driver accessing effective addresses from 0xf0000000 to
0xf0040000?  It should be using ioremap().

> Also, what undesireable effects might there be of keeping the above call to
> setbat()?

It's squatting on a chunk of virtual address space without properly
reserving it.  This is bad enough for a debug hack (and should be fixed).
Don't extend it to normal operation -- especially not as a substitute for
understanding the root cause of your problem.

-Scott