RFC: top level compatibles for virtual platforms

Yoder Stuart-B08248 B08248 at freescale.com
Tue Jul 12 03:41:20 EST 2011

But there is a concept in Linux of a platform 'machine':

define_machine(p4080_ds) {
        .name                   = "P4080 DS",
        .probe                  = p4080_ds_probe,
        .setup_arch             = corenet_ds_setup_arch,
        .init_IRQ               = corenet_ds_pic_init,
#ifdef CONFIG_PCI
        .pcibios_fixup_bus      = fsl_pcibios_fixup_bus,
#endif
        .get_irq                = mpic_get_coreint_irq,
        .restart                = fsl_rstcr_restart,
        .calibrate_decr         = generic_calibrate_decr,
        .progress               = udbg_progress,
};

Right now p4080_ds_probe needs something to match on to determine
whether this is the machine type.   How would it work if
there was no top level compatible to match on?   Some
platforms (e.g. e500v2-type) need mpc85xx_ds_pic_init(),
others need corenet_ds_pic_init().  We need a way to
select the machine.

Stuart