NAND BBT corruption on MPC83xx

Matthew L. Creech mlcreech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 01:30:44 EST 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Matthew L. Creech <mlcreech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Separately, I set up 2 test devices to run while I was away last week.
>  One of them contained 2 patches:
>
> - Mike Hench's patch which eliminates this block of code in fsl_elbc_nand.c
> - Adam Thomson's patch
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-June/036427.html)
> which initializes oob_poi correctly
>
> Upon my return, the device with these patches saw no problems at all,
> and had no additional bad blocks.  The device without these patches
> had some 200+ blocks which had been newly marked as bad in the BBT
> over the course of 10 days.  After rebooting, this latter device then
> failed to boot, as shown here:
>
> http://mcreech.com/work/bbt-ecc-error4.txt
>
> I'm currently running another test to verify which of the two patches
> actually fixed this problem (which might take a few days), but it
> seems like removing that block of code in fsl_elbc_nand.c is a good
> idea.

Just an update: my tests confirmed that the patch to fsl_elbc_nand.c
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-July/036893.html)
seems to have fixed these BBT corruption problems.

I ran a torture test on 2 devices for several days: the one which had
only that patch had no further issues, while the one which didn't have
it (but did have the other oob_poi patch from Adam) experienced BBT
corruption.

Thanks everyone

--
Matthew L. Creech