hvc_console change results in corrupt oops output

Tabi Timur-B04825 B04825 at freescale.com
Tue Jul 5 14:17:32 EST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Hendrik Brueckner
<brueckner at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I will check this again for my hvc_iucv back-end.  Meanwhile a found
> an old thread discussing the same issue.  It covers some differences
> between console and ttys which actually does not matter for hvc-backend
> because of the shared put_chars() routine.
>
> You can read the thread on lkml.org: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/10/15/149

I started that thread.  After much soul searching, we came to the
conclusion that HVC is not compatible with hypervisors that return
BUSY on writes.  So I threw out my HVC driver and rewrote it as a
standard console and TTY driver.  That driver is waiting to be
included in the 3.1 kernel.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale