State of suspend-to-ram?

Mathias Krause minipli at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:43:11 EST 2011

Hi all!

First of all: Sorry, this is the wrong mailing list, but I searched a lot and found none that would fit to PPC user-related problems -- linux-ppc would have been one but this one seems to be dead since 2004?!

I've a G4 based Mac mini and would like to suspend it to RAM, though the vanilla kernel doesn't allow me to do this (/sys/power/state mentions only "disk"). The reason for this is my platform is marked as PMAC_MB_MAY_SLEEP instead of PMAC_MB_CAN_SLEEP in arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/feature.c. So I changed that to be PMAC_MB_CAN_SLEEP and was able to suspend the system using the pm-suspend script from the pm-utils suite. The LED on the front was pulsing like it is when suspended under MacOS X. After pushing the power button the system started to resume but just got stuck. I see no messages on the console, nothing in syslog. So I assume the system panics pretty early in the resume path. Because the system has no serial console the debug capabilities are fairly limited. Any hints why this doesn't work or how to debug this any further?

Some system information:

mk at maxi:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
cpu		: 7447A, altivec supported
clock		: 1416.666661MHz
revision	: 1.2 (pvr 8003 0102)
bogomips	: 83.24
timebase	: 41620997
platform	: PowerMac
model		: PowerMac10,1
machine		: PowerMac10,1
motherboard	: PowerMac10,1 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as	: 287 (Mac mini)
pmac flags	: 00000001
L2 cache	: 512K unified
pmac-generation	: NewWorld
Memory		: 1024 MB
mk at maxi:~$ uname -a
Linux maxi 2.6.37+ #2 Mon Jan 24 08:56:01 CET 2011 ppc GNU/Linux

Regards,
Mathias