fsl-esdhc on P2020 weird endianess behavior

Elie De Brauwer eliedebrauwer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:36:07 EST 2011

On 01/24/11 10:28, tiejun.chen wrote:
> Elie De Brauwer wrote:

>>> I means you should partition the disk on the PPC Linux, not x86. As
>>> you know x86
>>> work with LE for Linux, but PPC with BE. So I think you should
>>> partition that on
>>> the same type machine. Can you try it?

>>> I didn't check this implemented codes within u-boot. Maybe u-boot can do
>>> something to swap MMC ending problem. You can try to get the
>>> conclusion. Firstly
>>> you can re-partition that on PPC Linux then check if u-boot can
>>> identify it
>>> properly. I guess u-boot still can read that successfully.
>>>

>> Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right here. When I fdisk it on
>> target, then on target the partition gets detected, in u-boot it fails
>> (Unknown partition table). To be honest this was already the behavior
>> which I expected because the endianness swap was also seen for the card
>> registers. So I think something more fundamental is wrong (which in turn
>> smells like the "BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER" but this is used in a
>> very convincing way by the fsl-esdh driver...
>
> As you said looks you can disable 'MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER' from
> the Kconfig to rebuild Linux since its unnecessary for your target.

Well no, since this gets selected by the fsl-esdhc driver

config MMC_SDHCI_OF_ESDHC
         bool "SDHCI OF support for the Freescale eSDHC controller"
         depends on MMC_SDHCI_OF
         select MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER
         help
           This selects the Freescale eSDHC controller support.

           If unsure, say N.

And if you look in the sdhc-of.esdhc.c
(http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.37/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci-of-esdhc.c#L75 )
you can see that this driver is very stubborn in using the sdhci_be32bs*
variants, so it just won't compile without the BYTE_SWAPPER set. But the
entire sdhci_esdhc struct looks odd (for example they do byteswapping
for the read_b but nog for the write_b, and it gets only done for the
{read|write}_l.  I'll try using the 'regular' callbacks here instead of
the byteswapped versions.

--
Elie De Brauwer