fsl-esdhc on P2020 weird endianess behavior

Elie De Brauwer eliedebrauwer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:03:57 EST 2011

On 01/24/11 09:15, tiejun.chen wrote:
> Elie De Brauwer wrote:

>>> Can you re-partition that under Linux? i.e, you can use fdisk to do
>>> this. Then
>>> I'm a bit curious what it'll be happened.
>>
>> This was already partitioned under (x86) Linux, and when I plug it into
>
> I means you should partition the disk on the PPC Linux, not x86. As you know x86
> work with LE for Linux, but PPC with BE. So I think you should partition that on
> the same type machine. Can you try it?
>
>> my laptop it sees the MBR (but also on target, in U-boot, the mmc part 0
>> command shows the correct partition table). And this does not explain
>
> I didn't check this implemented codes within u-boot. Maybe u-boot can do
> something to swap MMC ending problem. You can try to get the conclusion. Firstly
> you can re-partition that on PPC Linux then check if u-boot can identify it
> properly. I guess u-boot still can read that successfully.

Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right here. When I fdisk it on
target, then on target the partition gets detected, in u-boot it fails
(Unknown partition table). To be honest this was already the behavior
which I expected because the endianness swap was also seen for the card
registers. So I think something more fundamental is wrong (which in turn
smells like the "BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER" but this is used in a
very convincing way by the fsl-esdh driver...

--
Elie De Brauwer