[RFC] MPIC Bindings and Bindings for AMP Systems

Blanchard, Hollis Hollis_Blanchard at mentor.com
Thu Jan 6 09:49:40 EST 2011

On 01/05/2011 02:09 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:58:55 -0600
> Meador Inge<meador_inge at mentor.com>  wrote:
>
>> We need some sort of mapping between a message register and a message
>> register number so that the message registers can be referenced through
>> some sort of API (e.g. 'mpic_msgr_read(0)').  One way to do that would
>> be by putting an order on the registers.  Maybe there is a better way,
>> though ...
> A message register is uniquely identified by a reference to the device
> tree node, plus a 0-3 index into that node's message registers.
Really what we're talking about is software configuration, not hardware
description. We've gone back and forth on representing this information
in the device tree, and most recently decided against it. Outside the
kernel, a device node reference isn't really practical.

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division