[RFC] MPIC Bindings and Bindings for AMP Systems

Meador Inge meador_inge at mentor.com
Wed Jan 5 10:52:38 EST 2011

Thanks for the feedback Scott.

On 01/03/2011 02:22 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:58:09 -0600
> These nodes cannot go under the mpic node, because interrupt
> controllers need #address-cells =<0>.

Good point.  Do they actually need it or is that just the way it
currently is?  [1] mandates it, I didn't see anything in [2] and I can't
access [3].

However, AFAIK '#address-cells' is taken directly from the parent node
and is not inherited from ancestors higher in the tree.  So another
option would be to do something like:

     mpic: pic at 40000 {
        message-registers at 0 {
           #address-cells = <1>;
           #size-cells = <1>;

           msgr at 1400 {
              compatible = "fsl,mpic-v3.0-msgr";
              reg = <0x1400 0x200>;
              interrupts = <0xb0 0x2 0xb1 0x2 0xb2 0x2 0xb3 0x2>;
           };

           msgr at 2400 {
              compatible = "fsl,mpic-v3.0-msgr";
              reg = <0x2400 0x200>;
              interrupts = <0xb4 0x2 0xb5 0x2 0xb6 0x2 0xb7 0x2>;
           };
        };
     };

I like the nesting as it models the physical relationship closer and
creates a clean namespace.

> It would be nice if the binding provided some way of partitioning
> up individual message interrupts within a block.
>
> Interrupt generation could be exported as a "service", similar to
> (inbound) interrupts and gpios.
>
> Perhaps a something like this, with "doorbell" being a new standard
> hw-independent service with its own binding:

I need to think about this proposal more, but our original intent was to
just have a simple description of the message registers in the device
tree and the policy for how those message registers are used is in
software (not necessarily an exact API use case, but you get the point):

    /* Core 0 */
    mpic_msgr_reserve(0);
    mpic_msgr_reserve(1);

    /* Send message to Core 1 */
    mpic_msgr_write(3, 13);

    /* Read a value */
    u32 value;
    mpic_msgr_read(0, &value);

    /* Free the register */
    mpic_msgr_release(0);

    /* Core 1 */
    mpic_msgr_reserve(3);
    mpic_msgr_reserve(4);

    /* Send message to Core 0 */
    mpic_msgr_write(0, 1);

Note that a "reservation" is still isolated to a particular core, e.g.
'mpic_msgr_reserve(0)' on core 0 will not cause 'mpic_msgr_reserve(0)'
to fail on another core.  Where as two invocations of
'mpic_msgr_reserve(0)' on the same core without an interleaved
'mpic_msgr_release(0)' would, of course, fail.

--
Meador Inge     | meador_inge AT mentor.com
Mentor Embedded | http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software

[1] Power.org™ Standard for Embedded Power Architecture™ Platform
Requirements (ePAPR) Version 1.0
[2] PowerPC Microprocessor Common Hardware Reference Platform (CHRP)
Binding, Version 1.8, 1998. Published by the Open Firmware Working Group.
[3] The Open Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC) Register Interface
Specification Revision 1.2