problem backporting talitos for MPC8272

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jan 5 09:00:33 EST 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:42:49 +0100
Alexandru Ionut Grama <gramaalexandruionut at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right Scott, there's no section in arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
> involving dts file for mpc8272ads.
>
> Well some time ago I've already write an email explaining that I've try to
> port a custom board patch from 2.6.21 to 2.6.35. I can't make the changes
> properly in 2.6.35, so that's why I've decided to backport cryptoAPI and
> talitos to 2.6.21.

Well, you may now find that it's not any easier going the other
direction.  If you have to put significant effort into either a forward
port of the board code, or a backport of crypto and/or 82xx
arch/powerpc support, it's more useful long-term to get yourself
unstuck from the old kernel -- and people will be more interested in
offering support.

> Redefining the address of CPM in the dts file, the kernel "io_block_map"
> properly that address without no more code?

You can try it, but you're on your own.  That was a very early attempt
at support for 82xx in arch/powerpc.  I do not recommend using it at
all, much less sinking extensive backporting work into it.  Things
change for a reason.

-Scott