Open Firmware and interrupt trigger

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Feb 25 19:47:29 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 08:29 +0100, Robert Thorhuus wrote:
> Thank you Benjamin!
>
> Sorry for not using your qouting schema :(
>
> Benjamin, you are right about the IRQ flags. Those interrupt.h flags
> seems to differ from my processor reference manual.

Check the bindings or the driver. IE. What interrupt controller does
your board/processor use ? Use the flags defined by the device-tree
bindings for that controller.

> None the less. Antov, I saw that the code snippet I refer to below:
>
> > 	ret = of_irq_to_resource(dn, 0, &irq_res);
> > 	if (ret == NO_IRQ)
> > 		irq_res.start = irq_res.end = 0;
> > 	else
> > 		irq_res.flags = 0;
>
> , originates from the first version of the file pata_of_platform.c and
> you are the creator :)

I don't think so :-)

Author: Anton Vorontsov <avorontsov at ru.mvista.com>  2008-01-10 06:10:41
Committer: Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net>  2008-01-16 03:23:43

> Could you explain the hardcoded ".flags = 0" part?
> Looking amatuer-vise in the code it seems that the only thing one is
> able to control (through Device Tree) regarding interrupts and pata,
> is the actual IRQ number. Is this a correct assumption?

I think the trick is that of_irq_to_resource() will establish the right
trigger settings already, so the flags might not be relevant from a
driver standpoint. 0 means use the default as established by
of_irq_to_resource() when it creates the interrupt mapping for that
interrupt.

I suspect the problem might be the value in your device-tree being
incorrect. You need to dbl check the binding (ie. the definition of that
value for your specific type of interrupt controller). You won't find
that in the processor documentation but rather in the binding document
describing the way that interrupt controller is represented in a
device-tree.

Tell us what the interrupt controller is (what your platform/processor
is) and we should be able to help you get it right.

Cheers,
Ben.