mpic_alloc: Differences between of_address_to_resource() and of_get_property()+of_translate_address()

Moffett, Kyle D Kyle.D.Moffett at boeing.com
Fri Feb 25 04:43:17 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm currently cleaning up a new P2020 (mpc85xx) board port for submission and I was noticing a lot of commonalities between the various ports.

In particular, at least 80% of the mpic_alloc() callers seem to do something like this (with more error-checking):

struct resource r;
of_address_to_resource(np, 0, &r);
mpic_alloc(np, r.start, [...]);

But mpic_alloc() itself seems to have some logic for digging the base address out of OpenFirmware already:

if (paddr == 0 && !(mpic->flags & MPIC_USES_DCR)) {
      const u32 *reg = of_get_property(node, "reg", NULL);
      BUG_ON(reg == NULL);
      paddr = of_translate_address(node, reg);
      BUG_ON(paddr == OF_BAD_ADDR);
}

As far as I can tell, the code in mpic_alloc() is a very limited form of of_address_to_resource() without a lot of the special cases, but I can't tell what the effect of those special cases would be on the boards relying on mpic_alloc(np, 0, [...]);

I'd like to just convert mpic_alloc() to do the of_address_to_resource() internally (instead of the existing logic), but I'd be afraid of breaking other systems.

Any comments/advice?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett