fsl-esdhc on P2020 weird endianess behavior

Elie De Brauwer eliedebrauwer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:19:50 EST 2011

On 01/21/11 17:22, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a P2020 processor on a custom board which uses the embedded
> fsl-esdhc controller. Hardware-wise this is functional and in u-boot
> everything seems to behave (mmc part 0 gives the correct partition table
> and ext2ls/fatls are capable of reading the contents of the sd card).
>
> However as soon as I start Linux (2.6.36), I get all sorts of unwanted
> behavior. Linux is unable to detect the partition layout (but if I do a
> hexdump of the MBR, I see the endianness is swapped (last 4 bytes are aa
> 55 00 00). Also when I try to obtain the card registers they show the
> same behavior:
> # cat ./devices/soc.0/ff72e000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/scr
> 0000b50200000000
>
> While for comparison the same value on my (x86) laptop gives:
> edb at lapedb:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:15:00.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001$
> cat scr
> 02b5000000000000
>
> In my config I have the following set:
> CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
> CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_IO_ACCESSORS=y
> CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER=y
> # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI is not set
> CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF=y
> CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF_ESDHC=y

In the meantime I've 'downgraded' this issue away. Just to share my
conclusions with the world (and perhaps somebody has an aha-erlebnis
when reading this which can identify the root cause). I did some
triaging today and found out the issue was present in 2.6.36 and
2.6.36.4 but it was not present in 2.6.35.9.

The CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER is not involved
because this relates to the way the registers on the SoC are accessed,
these registers are accessed in the correct way. The problem only occurs
when accessing data from the SD card (e.g. the SCR which is a card
register, but also the MBR).

--
Elie De Brauwer