Kernel not booting when supplying boot parameter mem

Arshad, Farrukh Farrukh_Arshad at mentor.com
Sat Dec 24 02:07:05 EST 2011

Greetings All,

I have a basic question. I have 512 MB memory. I want my kernel to use only last 128 MB of memory starting from address 0x10000000. I have configured the kernel CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x10000000 and in kernel boot parameter I have set mem=128M. In this scenario my kernel is not booting and it just stuck after uncompressing it. If I do not provide mem=128M boot parameter my kernel boots fine, but in that case I can not restrict kernel to use only 128M memory. Why supplying mem=128M causing kernel to fail.

Best Regards

Farrukh Arshad
Sr. Software Development Engineer
Mentor Graphics Pakistan