kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

Roedel, Joerg Joerg.Roedel at amd.com
Thu Aug 25 22:31:46 EST 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:07:46AM -0400, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:52 +0200, Roedel, Joerg wrote:

> > > I'm leaning towards binding because we need to make it dynamic, but I
> > > don't really have a good picture of the lifecycle of a meta-group.
> >
> > In my view the life-cycle of the meta-group is a subrange of the
> > qemu-instance's life-cycle.
>
> I guess I mean the lifecycle of a super-group that's actually exposed as
> a new group in sysfs.  Who creates it?  How?  How are groups dynamically
> added and removed from the super-group?  The group merging makes sense
> to me because it's largely just an optimization that qemu will try to
> merge groups.  If it works, great.  If not, it manages them separately.
> When all the devices from a group are unplugged, unmerge the group if
> necessary.

Right. The super-group thing is an optimization.

> We need to try the polite method of attempting to hot unplug the device
> from qemu first, which the current vfio code already implements.  We can
> then escalate if it doesn't respond.  The current code calls abort in
> qemu if the guest doesn't respond, but I agree we should also be
> enforcing this at the kernel interface.  I think the problem with the
> hard-unplug is that we don't have a good revoke mechanism for the mmio
> mmaps.

For mmio we could stop the guest and replace the mmio region with a
region that is filled with 0xff, no?

Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632