kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Aug 24 09:35:37 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 15:18 +0200, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 05:03:53PM -0400, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > > I am in favour of /dev/vfio/$GROUP. If multiple devices should be
> > > assigned to a guest, there can also be an ioctl to bind a group to an
> > > address-space of another group (certainly needs some care to not allow
> > > that both groups belong to different processes).
> > >
> > > Btw, a problem we havn't talked about yet entirely is
> > > driver-deassignment. User space can decide to de-assign the device from
> > > vfio while a fd is open on it. With PCI there is no way to let this fail
> > > (the .release function returns void last time i checked). Is this a
> > > problem, and yes, how we handle that?
> >
> > We can treat it as a hard unplug (like a cardbus gone away).
> >
> > IE. Dispose of the direct mappings (switch to MMIO emulation) and return
> > all ff's from reads (& ignore writes).
> >
> > Then send an unplug event via whatever mechanism the platform provides
> > (ACPI hotplug controller on x86 for example, we haven't quite sorted out
> > what to do on power for hotplug yet).
>
> Hmm, good idea. But as far as I know the hotplug-event needs to be in
> the guest _before_ the device is actually unplugged (so that the guest
> can unbind its driver first). That somehow brings back the sleep-idea
> and the timeout in the .release function.

That's for normal assisted hotplug, but don't we support hard hotplug ?
I mean, things like cardbus, thunderbolt (if we ever support that)
etc... will need it and some platforms do support hard hotplug of PCIe
devices.

(That's why drivers should never spin on MMIO waiting for a 1 bit to
clear without a timeout :-)

Cheers,
Ben.