kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

Roedel, Joerg Joerg.Roedel at amd.com
Mon Aug 22 23:15:08 EST 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:06:07AM -0400, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 03:55 PM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:

> > Well, I don't think its really meaningless, but we need some way to
> > communicate the information about device groups to userspace.
>
> I mean the contents of the group descriptor.  There are enough 42s in
> the kernel, it's better if we can replace a synthetic number with
> something meaningful.

If we only look at PCI than a Segment:Bus:Dev.Fn Number would be
sufficient, of course. But the idea was to make it generic enough so
that it works with !PCI too.

	Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632