kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Wed Aug 3 12:04:22 EST 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:35:19PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 12:14 -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I think you're arguing only over details of what words to use for
> > > what, rather than anything of substance here.  The point is that an
> > > entire partitionable group must be assigned to "host" (in which case
> > > kernel drivers may bind to it) or to a particular guest partition (or
> > > at least to a single UID on the host).  Which of the assigned devices
> > > the partition actually uses is another matter of course, as is at
> > > exactly which level they become "de-exposed" if you don't want to use
> > > all of then.
> >
> > Well first we need to define what a partitionable group is, whether it's
> > based on hardware requirements or user policy.  And while I agree that
> > we need unique ownership of a partition, I disagree that qemu is
> > necessarily the owner of the entire partition vs individual devices.
>
> Sorry, I didn't intend to have such circular logic.  "... I disagree
> that qemu is necessarily the owner of the entire partition vs granted
> access to devices within the partition".  Thanks,

I still don't understand the distinction you're making.  We're saying
the group is "owned" by a given user or guest in the sense that no-one
else may use anything in the group (including host drivers).  At that
point none, some or all of the devices in the group may actually be
used by the guest.

You seem to be making a distinction between "owned by" and "assigned
to" and "used by" and I really don't see what it is.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson