kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 00:39:37 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 11:27 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> It's a shared address space. With a basic configuration on p7ioc for
> example we have MMIO going from 3G to 4G (PCI side addresses). BARs
> contain the normal PCI address there. But that 1G is divided in 128
> segments of equal size which can separately be assigned to PE#'s.
>
> So BARs are allocated by firmware or the kernel PCI code so that devices
> in different PEs don't share segments.
>
> Of course there's always the risk that a device can be hacked via a
> sideband access to BARs to move out of it's allocated segment. That
> means that the guest owning that device won't be able to access it
> anymore and can potentially disturb a guest or host owning whatever is
> in that other segment.

Wait, what?  I thought the MMIO segments were specifically so that if
the device BARs moved out of the segment the guest only hurts itself and
not the new segments overlapped.

> The only way to enforce isolation here is to ensure that PE# are
> entirely behind P2P bridges, since those would then ensure that even if
> you put crap into your BARs you won't be able to walk over a neighbour.

Ok, so the MMIO segments are really just a configuration nuance of the
platform and being behind a P2P bridge is what allows you to hand off
BARs to a guest (which needs to know the bridge window to do anything
useful with them).  Is that right?

> I believe pHyp enforces that, for example, if you have a slot, all
> devices & functions behind that slot pertain to the same PE# under pHyp.
>
> That means you cannot put individual functions of a device into
> different PE# with pHyp.
>
> We plan to be a bit less restrictive here for KVM, assuming that if you
> use a device that allows such a back-channel to the BARs, then it's your
> problem to not trust such a device for virtualization. And most of the
> time, you -will- have a P2P to protect you anyways.
>
> The problem doesn't exist (or is assumed as non-existing) for SR-IOV
> since in that case, the VFs are meant to be virtualized, so pHyp assumes
> there is no such back-channel and it can trust them to be in different
> PE#.

But you still need the P2P bridge to protect MMIO segments?  Or do
SR-IOV BARs need to be virtualized?  I'm having trouble with the mental
model of how you can do both.  Thanks,

Alex