tmpfs size restriction

Schwarz,Andre andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Thu Apr 21 05:21:00 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm facing an issue with tmpfs mounts on PowerPC (mpc83xx specifically).

After "mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp -o size=16m" I can fill the machine's mem
(512MiB) until oom becomes active.

I can't see this on any other machine (x86/ARM) I have access to.
There's always a "no space left on device" message as soon as size specified is
reached ...

kernel versions available are v2.6.26.27 and v2.6.34.7 showing the same
behaviour.

I'd expect the kernel to limit available tmpfs size to 50% of physical memory
anyway.

Any ideas what might be wrong ?

Regards,
André

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner