PowerMacintosh B&W G3 boot failure - linux-2.6.36.x

acrux acrux_it at libero.it
Fri Apr 15 02:39:31 EST 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:49:16 +1000
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 20:27 +0200, acrux wrote:
> > i guess it's a different problem from the PegasosI G3 but i could
> > be wrong.
> >
> > I'd like to receive  feedbacks and a working kernel config if
> > someone is running with success linux-2.6.26.x on a Pmac B&W G3.
> > This machine, altough obsolete, is still quite common
>
> The snapshot you posted doesn't have much information... there's no
> obvious error for example in there...

I know, I received from it from a user. It's where the kernel hangs.

Anyway, the last year, i received many install failures report from
cruxppc users. I hope it's only my fault building the bootkernel and
i'd like to receive a feedback from others distro developers for this
specific machine.

I always avoided to collect obsolete machines thus I don't have a B&W G3
but now i'm looking for one.

> What video driver are you trying to use ? Have you tried plain offb ?
> (disabling whatever is the native driver for your video card, ie,
> radeonfb or aty128fb or even atyfb, dunno what you have in there).
>
> You can also try something like "udbg-immortal" on the kernel command
> line see if that brings you more debug output.

I'll try to receive more detailed info from that gentle user.

Thanks again for your kind support,
Nico
--
GNU/Linux on Power Architecture