Generating elf kernel ?

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Sep 21 01:43:53 EST 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:40:15 +0800
"tiejun.chen" <tiejun.chen at windriver.com> wrote:

> Scott Wood wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:58:41 +0800

> >> Looks you means the TLB exception handler should be same between the native and
> >> the guest OS. Right?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I don't think so. The HY should assist the guest OS on MMU since I already point
> the guest OS have no authority to create a real TLB directly as I previously said.

Of course the hypervisor assists, when a trap is taken.  That doesn't
mean the code is any different in the guest.

> > Yes, of course.  But that's not the point.  I was just using it as a
> > convenient example because that's what I've recently done ELF loading
> > with...  There's no reason U-Boot couldn't do the same if its ELF
> > loader were updated to support device trees.  Currently U-Boot loads
> > bootwrapperless uImages to physical address zero.
>
> I never doubt the U-boot can do this for uImage. But I think we're always
> talking about vmlinux, a bare Image.

uImage is pretty much a bare image.  It just has a header with a
checksum and some info like OS/architecture, kernel version, build
date, etc.

There would be *no* problem doing this with vmlinux in U-Boot if
someone put in the code to pass a device tree.

-Scott