Generating elf kernel ?

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Sep 17 03:09:44 EST 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:37:32 +0800
"tiejun.chen" <tiejun.chen at windriver.com> wrote:

> 1> can you load the Linux vmlinux directly to the physical address '0' on
> current bootloader?

That depends on what bootloader we're talking about -- I don't know
what the original poster's custom loader can do.  Obviously the
bootloader itself would have to be executing from some other address
(e.g. U-Boot runs from the top of RAM).

> 2> additionally you have to find a way to pass dtb to the native vmlinux.

Yes, of course.  But that's a different issue. :-)

> I believe the hypervisor can boot vmlinux directly. But your so-called vmlinux
> should be guest OS. And the hypervisor will handle/assit TLB exception for the
> guest OS on MMU. Right?  So you can use the hypervisor to load vmlinux to any
> physical address as you expect.

I was just using our hypervisor as an example, since it has an ELF
loader that can pass a device tree.

> But the guest OS should not be same as the native Linux.

The guest OS *is* the same as native Linux, as far as TLB handling is
concerned.

-Scott