CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING broken on 83xx (and all of powerpc?)

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Sep 10 08:37:35 EST 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:13:53 +1000
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 17:11 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> > > I would have expected uboot to warn (the kernel ELF header contains
> > the
> > > BSS size) but apparently that isn't the case.
> >
> > U-Boot doesn't use ELF files with Linux, so it has no idea where the
> > BSS is.  uImage is just a wrapper around a flat binary.
>
> Oh, right, I forgot about that... -1 for uboot there. Seriously, it's
> time it grows the ability to load ELF or to at least stick an ELF in a
> uImage...

It actually can load an ELF file, but it doesn't currently support
passing a device tree to it (only argc/argv text arguments, or some
vxworks stuff).

> I've never understood the reasoning for that uImage wrapper
> thingy. Definitely causes more problems than it solves in my experience.

Wolfgang was just defending it on the U-Boot list the past couple
days...  seems like the main thing in its favor is the CRC, especially
as a final check before reflashing an image.

-Scott