[linux-2.6.36-git7: Power7] LTP Memory CGROUP Controller functional test creates Backtrace, OOMKill & rcu_sched_state detected stall jiffies

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 27 11:45:02 EST 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:03:56 +0530
Subrata Modak <subrata at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> If you run LTP Memory CGROUP Controller functional test on
> linux-2.6.36-git7, the following Backtrace, OOMKill & rcu_sched_state
> detected stall jiffies are created. The machine is not reachable
> thereafter. Ways to reproduce this problem:
>
> 1) Build and boot kernel 2.6.36-git7 on Power7 machine with attached
> config file,
> 2) Fetch, build and install LTP:
> 	git clone git://ltp.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ltp/ltp
> 	cd ltp
> 	./configure
> 	make
> 	make install
> 3) Create a LTP runtest file /opt/ltp/runtest/memcg_function_test with
> the following entry:
> memcg_function          memcg_function_test.sh
> <<EOF>>
> 	cd /opt/ltp
> 	./runltp -f memcg_function_test

IIUC, memcg test includes intentional OOM-Kill test by setting the limit to 0.
And it has another test to set the limit to PAGE_SIZE.

In your environemnt, I think page size is 64kb...right ?

About rcu_sched_state()....I have no idea at this stage. I reviewed memcontrol.c
and oom_kill.c again and coundn't found anything in quick review.

Could you try again after -rc1 shipped ?
I think Andrew Morton sent some amount of updates for oom_kill and memcg, vmscan
to Linus, today.

Thanks,
-Kame