CONFIG_FEC is not good for mpc8xx ethernet?

tiejun.chen tiejun.chen at windriver.com
Tue Oct 19 13:03:09 EST 2010

Scott Wood wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:40:42 +0800
> "tiejun.chen" <tiejun.chen at windriver.com> wrote:
>
>> Shawn Jin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My target is a mpc875 based board and has FEC ethernet. The phy is
>>> AM79C874. I have the following configuration for the network support.
>>>
>>> CONFIG_PHYLIB=y
>>> CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
>>> CONFIG_MII=y
>>> CONFIG_FS_ENET=y
>>> CONFIG_FS_ENET_HAS_FEC=y
>>> CONFIG_FS_ENET_MDIO_FEC=y
>>>
>>> However I found that the phy support (AM79C874) is actually in
>>> drivers/net/fec.c which is compiled only when CONFIG_FEC=y. However
>> The phy driver should not be embedded into the NIC driver in theory.
>
> Right, those are handled by drivers/net/phy/.
>
>> I think you should include the phy driver, mdio-bitbang.c, which should be
>> support AMD79C874.
>
> On MPC8xx you want drivers/net/fs_enet/mii-fec.c.  This is just the
> MDIO driver; it doesn't handle any particular PHY.  I don't know if
> there is a driver specifically for AM79C874, though the generic PHY
> support may be good enough.

Maybe.

I can found one related patch for supporting PHY AM79C874 on 2.6.15,
------
http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2005-November/021043.html

But I don't see that on the latest kernel, and also I don't know the history
completely for that. Maybe its already merged into one generic PHY driver but
I'm not sure.

Tiejun