Possible kernel stack overflow due to fast interrupts

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Oct 15 10:57:13 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 13:45 -0700, Rick Tao wrote:
> Hi, all,

 .../...

> In the context of task A
> a. NIP would point to the instruction after switch_to().
> b. MSR_EE is enabled in the call trace (finish_task_switch -->finish_lock_switch-->spin_unlock_irq)
> c. do something that would trigger an interrupt later on (such as timer)
> d. call schedule() for context switch to task B.
>    In this step,
>      task B's stack is popped INT_FRAME_SIZE size for context restore.
>    Note that task B's ksp = X - INT_FRAME_SIZE
>
> In the context of task B again
> a1. similar to step "a" above
>
> b1. similar to step "b" above
> c1. interrupt occurs, go to step "1" above, and repeat!!!
>
> As you can see, task B's kernel stack space is reduced by INT_FRAME_SIZE
> on each loop. It will eventually overflow.

So if I follow you correctly, you are worried that by the time execution
resumes in B, and before it pops the second frame off, it might get
another interrupt and re-preempt...

Now unless I missed something, that cannot happen because
preempt_schedule_irq() does increment the preempt count:

	add_preempt_count(PREEMPT_ACTIVE);
	local_irq_enable();
	schedule();
	local_irq_disable();
	sub_preempt_count(PREEMPT_ACTIVE);

Which means that it won't preempt again in finish_task_switch, and so
will eventually come back, turn EE back off, and pop off the stack
frame.

Or am I missing something ?

Cheers,
Ben.