ppc405 + MCP23S17

tiejun.chen tiejun.chen at windriver.com
Wed Oct 13 18:49:42 EST 2010

WANG YiFei wrote:
> Hi TieJun,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
> So far, I can get ppc405 spi to initialize, however
> failed at MCP23S17's probe() routine, I checked the
> code, it's due to un-initialized platform data. Here
> is my part of dts:
>
> 	spi at ef600600 {
> 		device_type = "spi";
> 		compatible = "ibm,ppc4xx-spi", "ibm,spi";
> 		reg = <0xef600600 0x7>;
> 		interrupt-parent = <0x2>;
> 		interrupts = <0x8 0x4>;
> 		#address-cells = <0x1>;
> 		#size-cells = <0x0>;
> 		gpios = <0>;    	/* cs */
>
> 		spi_gpio at 0 {
> 			compatible = "mcp,mcp23s08";
> 			spi-max-frequency = <1000000>;
> 			reg = <0>;
> 		};
> 	};
>
> I don't know how to provide platform data from dts although
> I understand the concept from code. Do I only need to modify
> dts OR I need to write some code to supply platform data? Do
> you have any URL or sample code to show passing of platform
> data?

Often you SPI bus driver should call spi_register_master() to register your SPI
master controller. Then please go to the following path:
======
spi_register_master()

	+ scan_boardinfo()

		+ spi_new_device()
			^
			Here refer to the function,
------
struct spi_device *spi_new_device(struct spi_master *master,
                                  struct spi_board_info *chip)
{
	struct spi_device       *proxy;
	proxy->dev.platform_data = (void *) chip->platform_data;
	status = spi_add_device(proxy);

And as I previously comment 'spi->dev.platform_data' would be passed to your
platform_data resided in your probe hook within your spi device driver.

So firstly you should register call spi_register_board_info() to register one
given spi_board_info by parsing your device nodes from your dts.

I think you can refer to the file, arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_rdb.c.

> Anyway, thanks a lot for guiding me.

You're welcome :)

Tiejun