ppc405 + MCP23S17

WANG YiFei yifei_wang at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 01:49:41 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm a newbie for linux device driver development.

We have a custom ppc405 board which has MCP23S17

(16-Bit I/O Expander with SPI Interface) on it.

I noticed that current kernel has MCP23S08 driver

support, I'd like to know:

1. if passing platform data to MCP23S08 driver, can it make

   MCP23S17 work?

2. Generally, I'd like to know how to pass platform data to

   a particular device driver. In my mind, platform data should

   not be in driver code, right? However, I don't know where is

   the suitable place to pass platform data to driver.

3. How to describe this in dts file?

Thanks in advance,

YiFei