Questions on interrupt vector assignment on MPC8641D

tiejun.chen tiejun.chen at windriver.com
Tue Oct 12 14:11:59 EST 2010

Scott Wood wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:02:15 -0500
> <david.hagood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Re-ordering your questions a bit:
>>
>>> What board are you using?  What kernel?
>> One of 2 boards: Either an Embedded Planet or a Performance Tech uTCA
>> board based on the MPC8641D, running the 2.6.26 as supplied by EP.
>
> That's a very old kernel.  Have you contacted EP support?
>
> You may be better off trying to migrate anything board-specific to the
> latest kernel, rather than do new development on the vendor kernel,
> especially if you're looking for community support, and definitely if
> you're trying to do something that could be merged upstream to help
> others.
>
> The MPC8641D itself is supported in mainline Linux.
>
>>> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:52:49 -0500
>>> Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/fsl/mpic.txt
>> Not present in the version I have.
>
> We didn't have a time machine, so we were only able to add things to new
> releases, not old ones. :-)
>
> Should it have been documented from the start?  Ideally, yes, and we're
> pickier now than we were then about insisting on bindings being
> documented before they're used.  But nothing's perfect.

On the *latest* tree you can find more than your tree:
------
Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/fsl/msi-pic.txt
Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt

If you want to understand dts in detail you can refer to the file,
------
http://www.power.org/resources/downloads/Power_ePAPR_APPROVED_v1.0.pdf

>>> If it's not in the dts, add it.  If for whatever reason that's not an
>>> option, you can use irq_create_mapping() as I mentioned in the previous
>>> e-mail.
>> And as I've said previously, I have no good info on HOW to add the nodes,
>> WHAT to add, or WHERE. You may as well be saying "Bargle the Narbog".
>
> There are no nodes to add with irq_create_mapping().

Sure.

> Just bargle the narbog.
>
>> And when I try to use irq_create_mapping() it seg faults, which doesn't
>> exactly help me get my interrupt hooked up.
>
> Well, I didn't know it was going to do that...  Your usage of
> irq_create_mapping() seems fine, there's just something going wrong.

The 'NULL' host would be 'irq_default_host'. For OOPS you can check my another
email and hope its useful.

-Tiejun