Problem with Infiniband adapter on IBM p550

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Oct 8 16:41:10 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 23:24 -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> I seem to be running into a problem getting a Mellanox Infinihost
> Infiniband adapter working on my IBM p550 (a 9113-550).  I'm using
> Debian squeeze, and tried upgrading to the 2.6.35.7 kernel without any
> help.
>
> I get the following messages in dmesg:
> [    4.972548] ib_mthca: Mellanox InfiniBand HCA driver v1.0 (April 4,
> 2008)
> [    4.972564] ib_mthca: Initializing 0000:c1:00.0
> [    4.972674] ib_mthca 0000:c1:00.0: Missing DCS, aborting.

Ok, so from what I can tell, the driver is unhappy because either BAR 0
hasn't been assigned a memory resource or the size doesn't match what
the driver expects.

Let's see...

> The problem looks the same as a problem I ran into with OpenFirmware on
> a Sun V880, which was fixed with this patch by Dave Miller:
> http://ns3.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg01779.html
>
> I spent some time looking at the equivalent function on powerpc, but
> didn't a block of code that looked similar.

I don't think we are hitting the same problem. I believe our code in
that area differs enough.

In your lspci, however, I see:

	Memory at <unassigned> (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
	Memory at <unassigned> (64-bit, prefetchable)

Which doesn't look good...