RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Nov 25 02:44:52 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Michael Ellerman
<michael at ellerman.id.au> wrote:

> Personally I'm a bit ambivalent about it, the OF name is a bit wrong so
> it would be nice to get rid of, but it's a lot of churn.
>
> So I'm hoping people with either say "YES this is a great idea", or "NO
> this is stupid".

Well, my vote is "no".  I wouldn't call it stupid, but I do think it's
a bad idea.

In general, I don't like renaming functions, because it causes
complications with merges and porting code across kernel versions.  It
also forces me to re-remember things.

And especially in this case, the churn is too great.  You're affecting
files across multiple subsystems and architectures.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale