Change in PCI behaviour

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Mon Nov 22 21:37:17 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 08:42:46AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> In this case, note that PCI device 0000:00:0c.0 is at 0xc0000000.
> This causes problems because it's a truly stupid device that does
> not work properly at PCI [relative] address 0x00000000.  It simply
> does not respond at that address.  Pick anywhere else and it will
> work fine!

Yes, but it was one upon a time in the PCI spec that setting the
a base register to 0 should disable the corresponding decoder.

I don't know whether this has changed (I actually never had the
final PCI spec, only drafts). However I once had a device who
actually did not disable base addresses set to zero and this was
described as a bug in its (numerous) errata. This also caused
a lot of mayhem since in some versions/configurations it used
up to 64kB of PCI I/O space (especially fun on x86...).

	Gabriel