PowerMac8600 help ...

kevin diggs diggskevin38 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 09:52:57 EST 2010

Hi,

I have managed to boot the G4 (GigE) using a kernel built with the
4.3.5 compiler on the 8600. I have also discovered what prevented
firefox from working with 4.3.5. It was picking up the 3.4.6 libstdc++
(possibly other internal tidbits as well). Even something as simple
as:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

inline void pr_message(string s="Hello world!")  {
cout<<s<<endl;
}

int main()
{
pr_message();
}

Won't run using 4.3.5 and the libstdc++ from 3.4.6. They were both
installed because I used 3.4.6 to build 4.3.5 after discovering that
3.4.6 can't build the kernel either.

So ... I am back to why I can't get a newer kernel running on the 8600???

Thanks!

kevin

P.S.:  newer powermacs have a line in cpuinfo, like "PowerMac 7,2".
Does this uniquely identify a particular model?