Can't boot benh/powerpc.git kernel

Michael Neuling mikey at neuling.org
Wed Nov 17 13:03:55 EST 2010

In message <1289958663.3028.175.camel at localhost> you wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 14:26 +1100, Michael Neuling wrote:

> > > I built from Linus's git tree, and that kernel doesn't boot, either.
> > > (It doesn't hang, but rather panics during boot.  I can provide a
> > > console log if you like.)
> >
> > Yes please.
> >
> > Linus' tree with pseries_defconfig boots fine for me on my POWER5 box.
> >
> > > v2.6.36 and v2.6.37-rc1 boot fine for me.  I'll post my nvram-related
> > > patches against v2.6.37-rc1.
> >
> > So it's broken between 37-rc1 and whereever you grabbed Linus tree.
> > That's a fairly small window.  Can you bisect it?
>
> I was apparently comparing apples to oranges.  Given the fatal
> configuration options (DEBUG_SLAB and/or DEBUG_PAGEALLOC) 2.6.37-rc1
> fails the same as a more recent snapshot of Linus's tree.  I updated my
> view today, and it still fails to boot with DEBUG_SLAB and/or
> DEBUG_PAGEALLOC, and boots OK without them.

I can't reproduce any of these.

I modified pseries_defconfig to enable DEBUG_SLAB and it still works for
me on my POWER5 here

% grep SLAB .config
CONFIG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_SLABINFO=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB_LEAK is not set

I also can't reproduce with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC enabeled either.

> It also fails to boot with SLUB and SLUB_DEBUG enabled, even with
> SLUB_DEBUG_ON disabled.

pseries_defconfig uses this configuration and boots for me.

% grep SLUB .config
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SLUB=y
# CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON is not set
# CONFIG_SLUB_STATS is not set

> Ben has access to my system, and will look at it in a few days.

Can you please try pseries_defconfig?

Mikey