halt the system without any broadcast message on the console

Bosi Daniele Daniele.Bosi at mta.it
Thu May 27 18:24:24 EST 2010

Hi all,
on the embedded system I'm working (mpc5121e, linux kernel 2.6.24.6) when I type the command "halt" on the console I see a broadcast message sent to all the users like this:

" Broadcast message from root (console) (Thu May 27 09:04:41 2010):

The system is going down for system halt NOW!"

I'd like to avoid this message on the console I'm using because at production time this has to be a simple serial port for external peripheral connection. (to do this on the command line we'll leave empty the "console" field).

The only way I found to avoid the broadcast message is the command "telinit 0" . In this way no one calls the "shutdown" command that is the one which send the broadcast message.
I did also some tests with the shutdown parameters but none of them erase the broadcast message.

So my questions are:
Does the command  "telinit 0" is safe in order to halt the machine?
Does the command  "telinit 6" is safe in order to reboot the machine?
Are there others commands to do the same work without the broadcast message?

Thanks
Daniele Bosi