[RFC Patch 2/5] PPC64-HWBKPT: Implement hw-breakpoints for PowerPC Book III S

K.Prasad prasad at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 24 14:38:12 EST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 09:32:25AM +0530, K.Prasad wrote:
> Implement perf-events based hw-breakpoint interfaces for PowerPC Book III S
> processors. These interfaces help arbitrate requests from various users and
> schedules them as appropriate.

<snipped>
> [...]
> +{
> +	bool is_kernel, is_ptrace_bp = false;
> +	int rc = NOTIFY_STOP;
> +	struct perf_event *bp;
> +	struct pt_regs *regs = args->regs;
> +	unsigned long dar = regs->dar;
> +	int stepped = 1;
> +	struct arch_hw_breakpoint *info;
> +
> +	/* Disable breakpoints during exception handling */
> +	set_dabr(0);
> +	/*
> +	 * The counter may be concurrently released but that can only
> +	 * occur from a call_rcu() path. We can then safely fetch
> +	 * the breakpoint, use its callback, touch its counter
> +	 * while we are in an rcu_read_lock() path.
> +	 */
> +	rcu_read_lock();
> +
> +	bp = __get_cpu_var(bp_per_reg);
> +	if (!bp)
> +		goto out;
> +	info = counter_arch_bp(bp);
> +	is_kernel = is_kernel_addr(bp->attr.bp_addr);
> +	is_ptrace_bp = (bp->overflow_handler == ptrace_triggered) ?
> +			true : false;
> +
> +	/*
> +	 * Verify if dar lies within the address range occupied by the symbol
> +	 * being watched to filter extraneous exceptions.
> +	 */
> +	if (!((bp->attr.bp_addr <= dar) &&
> +	    (dar <= (bp->attr.bp_addr + bp->attr.bp_len))) &&
> +	    (!is_ptrace_bp))
> +		/*
> +		 * This exception is triggered not because of a memory access on
> +		 * the monitored variable but in the double-word address range
> +		 * in which it is contained. We will consume this exception,
> +		 * considering it as 'noise'.
> +		 */
> +		goto restore_bp;
> +
> +	/*
> +	 * Return early after invoking user-callback function without restoring
> +	 * DABR if the breakpoint is from ptrace which always operates in
> +	 * one-shot mode. The ptrace-ed process will receive the SIGTRAP signal
> +	 * generated in do_dabr().
> +	 */
> +	if (is_ptrace_bp) {
> +		perf_bp_event(bp, regs);
> +		rc = NOTIFY_DONE;
> +		goto out;
> +	}
> +
> +	/*
> +	 * Do not emulate user-space instructions from kernel-space,
> +	 * instead single-step them.
> +	 */
> +	if (!is_kernel) {
> +		bp->ctx->task->thread.last_hit_ubp = bp;
> +		regs->msr |= MSR_SE;
> +		goto out;
> +	}
> +
> +	stepped = emulate_step(regs, regs->nip);
> +	/* emulate_step() could not execute it, single-step them */

As I was responding to one of the previous mails, I realised that I
had not made changes here as Paul Mackerras had suggested
(reference linuxppc-dev message-id:
20100520131003.GB29903 at brick.ozlabs.ibm.com) i.e. uninstall breakpoint
if single-stepping failed.

I'll quickly send out a revised patch as a reply to this one. Regrets
for the confusion caused.

Thanks,
K.Prasad